Thursday, August 27, 2009

Garments and Physical Protection

My brother, whom I will call Daryl*, was using a blow torch yesterday and burned a hole in his pants. His garments were untouched. He and his wife, who are quite faithful, admired this fact, apparently ascribing it to the miraculous protective properties of the garment.

As for myself, I love the garment. I feel comfortable in it. Since I first received my endowments, I have loved wearing the garment. It makes me feel good.

I appreciate the rich symbolism of expressing my temple covenants in a physical way. I like the spiritual protection I receive from the garment against temptation. However, I don't believe that wearing garments offers extraordinary physical protection.

In this case, I think Daryl* and his wife were engaging in magical thinking, which is human nature, but not factually sound. I was polite and didn't say anything about it, though. I definitely don't want to upset their own faith.

* Daryl is not his real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment